Here’s a lovely simple recipe for a crisp winter salad using local seasonal produce. It’s nice on its own or served with some lovely Cornish Blue cheese, or even a chunk of rib eye steak if you fancy!
- 1/4 red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/4 savoy cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced into matchsticks
- a handful of walnuts, lightly toasted & roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp walnut oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1tsp grain mustard
- sea salt & cracked black pepper, to taste
Toss all the sliced cabbage and carrots together in a large bowl. In the top oven of the aga or in a dry pan on the hob, lightly toast the walnuts until they smell wondrous (technical cookery term!) and remember to keep them moving so they don’t catch and burn.
Mix together the walnut oil, red wine vinegar and mustard. Season to taste. Pour the dressing over the salad, mix well to coat and serve.