900g/2lb stewing Cornish veal, Cornish pork & Lobbs Farm Shop lamb in equal quantities
Dripping (if you don’t have any dripping – Simply Cornish rapeseed oil or Clearspring sunflower oil will do instead)
225g/8oz onions – sliced
225g/8oz carrots – sliced
600-850ml/1-1½ pints hot water mixed with 1 tspn Worcester sauce
2 tbspn Glebe Farm plain flour
2 tbspn pearl barley
1 tspn mixed herbs
450g/1lb potatoes – thinly sliced
50g/2oz Tasty cheddar cheese – grated
salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas 3.
- In a large frying pan brown the meat, a few pieces at a time, in the dripping or oil. Transfer the meat to a wide casserole dish.
- Next fry the onions & carrots for a few minutes.
- Stir in the flour to soak up the juices, then gradually add the hot water, stirring all the time until the liquid is smoothly blended.
- Pour the contents of the frying pan over the meat in the casserole – sprinkle in the pearl barley & mixed herbs & season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Arrange the potato slices on top in an overlapping pattern.
- Cover with a lid & cook in the oven for 1½ hours.
- Remove the lid, scatter over the grated cheese & cook for a further 50 mins.
- If the top is not browning sufficiently, turn up the oven heat for the last 15 mins or finish under the grill.
“As a child my family’s menu consisted of
two choices: take it or leave it”