ALL BUTTER CHERRY SHORTBREAD
Makes 16-20 pieces:
340g (12 ozs) Plain Flour
227g (8 ozs) butter
113g (4 ozs) castor sugar + extra for dusting
85g (3 ozs) chopped glace cherries
- Preheat oven to 170°C (325°F / GM3-4)
- Lightly grease shallow baking tray and line with parchment.
- Sieve flour into bowl and add chopped up butter pieces.
- Rub butter into flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add chopped cherries and caster sugar.
- Draw mixture together to form a ball and knead very lightly using floured hands until smooth.
- Press mixture into baking tray and prick all over with a fork.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 35-40 mins or until the colour of straw and shortbread is firm to touch.
- Remove from oven and leave until lukewarm.
- Dust with castor sugar, shaking tray until all shortbread is covered.
- Shake off any surplus sugar and cut into pieces.
- Leave to cool on wire rack.
- You can use chocolate chips, or chopped crystallised ginger pieces instead of cherries.
- You can dip one end of each shortbread piece in melted chocolate to make them an extra treat.