227g (8 ozs) softened butter
4 fl ozs water
227g (8 ozs) dates, chopped
2 fl ozs orange juice
113g (4 ozs) rolled oats
2 tablespoons clear honey
140g (5 ozs) wholemeal flour
½ teaspoon mixed spice
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F / GM4)
- Lightly grease shallow 8” square tin and line with parchment.
- Add chopped dates to water and orange juice in pan and simmer gently for 15-20 mins, until soft.
- Add honey and mixed spice and mash all together with wooden spoon: Set aside to cool.
- Cut butter into small pieces and rub into flour and oats to resemble course breadcrumbs.
- Divide crumbly mixture and press half firmly into bottom of lined baking tin.
- Spread date mixture evenly over crumble mix using palette knife or back of spoon.
- Add remaining crumble mix on top and press down firmly.
- Bake in centre of fan oven for approximately 20-30 mins (adjust times according to your oven)
- Remove from oven and mark into squares whilst still in tin (mix will be very soft and crumbly)
- Leave to cool and harden in tin before carefully removing.
- Peel away parchment and cut up into 12 squares. Place on cooling rack to complete cooling process.